Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Podcast Appalachia Pilot



Listen here


Transcript:

Good evening and welcome to Podcast Appalachia. I am John Norris Brown.

In this first episode, I wanted to simply lay out my vision for this podcast, solicit any comments or suggestions you may have, and introduce myself. Simply put, this will be a podcast about the Appalachian region of the United States. I plan to cover various topics dealing with Appalachian history, culture, literature, and problems facing the region.

I also plan to profile various significant figures in Appalachian history, such as Daniel Boone, James Still, Davy Crockett, Thomas Wolfe, and others.

In order for this podcast to be successful, I will need feedback from you my listeners. Therefore, I request that you e-mail me any suggestions you may have for content, subject matter, or anything else. I hope to hear from you soon. My e-mail address is johnnyb325@aol.com

I also have one additional request. I would like to have theme music for this podcast, but so far I have not been able to find anything appropriate. So if anyone listening knows of any good Appalachian music that I can use for free without being sued, please e-mail me and let me know. Again, my e-mail address is johnnyb325@aol.com

I will close by briefly introducing myself. As I said in the opening, my name is John Norris Brown. I’ve spent most of my life in the Appalachian region, having been born and raised in Harriman, TN, about 30 miles west of Knoxville. I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and a Master of Arts from Appalachian State University, majoring in Political Science both times.

Over the past few years, I have developed an intense interest in my homeland and hope to contribute to the growing dialogue concerning Appalachia. I am by no means an expert, so this podcast will be a learning experience for me as well. So if you ever hear a mistake, by all means, please correct me.

A transcript of this episode is available at podcastappalachia.blogspot.com. I will close for now, but I look forward to hearing from you soon. Have a good evening, and we will speak again shortly.

No comments: